Clearwater Truck Accident Attorney
Truck Accident Claims in Florida
An accident with a commercial truck is among the most devastating motor vehicle crash types. Semi-trucks and other commercial shipping and industrial vehicles are massive, heavy, and, when loaded, can take 20-40% longer than cars to come to a full stop. Usually, when a truck and another motor vehicle are involved in a collision, it is those traveling in the smaller vehicles who end up with debilitating injuries—if they manage to survive at all.
At Idrizi Law Group, our Clearwater truck accident attorneys understand how catastrophic and traumatic these crashes can be for everyone involved, as well as their families. We know that you are dealing with immense stress and pain and want to help by taking charge of the legal aspects of your case. While we collect evidence and calculate the compensation you are owed, you can process the accident at your own pace.
Let us deal with the legal paperwork and procedures so you can focus on making your best possible recovery. Contact us online or call (727) 202-5499 to work with a local truck accident attorney on your case.
Common Causes of Big Rig Accidents
Truck accidents can have many causes, all of which would be impossible to list. However, there are some common treads among big rig accidents, the majority of which tend to be caused by human error. Truck drivers often have tight schedules and work long hours, so accidents regularly happen because they fall asleep at the wheel, for instance.
The most common causes of big rig accidents include:
- Driver drug or alcohol use
- Driver fatigue
- Improper cargo loads
- Insufficient driver training
- Lack of truck maintenance
- Poor weather conditions
- Reckless driving
- Unfamiliarity with roadway
- Unfamiliarity with weather
- Vehicle part malfunctions
- Vehicles in truck’s blind spots
Determining Semi-Truck Accident Liability
Due to the devastation that often results from a truck accident, determining the cause can be quite a challenge. An investigation will likely be needed to uncover the cause of the crash—and to pinpoint who is at fault. Determining liability after a big rig accident is far more complicated than other motor vehicle accidents for that reason as well as because numerous individuals and companies are often responsible for a single truck. This is why it is important to determine if the crash was caused by driver error, improper loading, a faulty tire, or something else.
One or more of the following may be held liable for a truck accident:
- The truck driver
- The truck’s owner
- The trucking company
- The loading company
- The truck’s manufacturer
For example, the person who drives the truck is probably not the same person who owns it. So, did driver error cause the crash, making the truck driver at fault? Or did a mechanical failure lead to the collision, placing the blame on the person responsible for maintaining the truck? It is crucial that the cause of the crash be determined without a doubt in order to hold the right person accountable. An experienced truck accident lawyer will be able to find who is responsible.
What to Do After a Truck Accident
The aftermath of a truck accident can be chaotic and disorienting. However, if possible, it is crucial that you take certain steps to protect both your health and your truck accident claim.
Do the following as soon as possible after you have been in a truck accident:
- Seek medical attention: Get to a hospital right away if you are seriously injured; if you are okay, check on any others involved in the crash. Only do the next steps once everyone’s safety is assured.
- Call the police: The local authorities will take down information for a crash report. This documentation can act as valuable evidence for your claim. They will also conduct an investigation into the crash to determine the cause.
- Collect your own evidence: If you can, take pictures of the crash scene and write down what you can remember about how the crash occurred while your memory is still fresh. Also, take down the contact information of the truck driver and any witnesses for your own records.
- Don’t apologize or talk to insurance agents: It is best not to say anything about the accident to anyone other than the police. Even saying “sorry” can be seen as an admission of fault. Don’t talk to your family or friends about the crash in detail and do not post anything regarding it on social media. Never speak to the truck driver’s insurance company because they will try to find a way to place the blame on you. If they call, tell them nothing except that you have a lawyer and give them your attorney’s contact information.
- Contact a lawyer: Most truck accident lawyers in Florida offer free legal consultations, so take this opportunity to discuss your case with an attorney. At the very least you get free advice concerning what to do next; if you choose to move forward with a lawsuit, a lawyer will also help you put your claim together and can represent you if the case goes to court.
A truck accident lawyer experienced in such cases can be a vital asset to your case. By having a lawyer on your side, you ensure not only that you are following the proper protocol and submitting your documentation correctly, but also that you receive the maximum amount of compensation available. If you want to make your best recovery possible following a truck accident, we highly encourage you to consult with a lawyer to see what your options are.
If you have been in a truck accident, we are here to help. Call (727) 202-5499 to get the compensation you deserve.
You're in confident and capable hands.- Micaela M.
Wouldn't have wanted it any other way- Former Client
Highly recommend!- Irma S.
Thank you!- Matthew C.
Thank you Shpresa and team!!!- Anna M.
$250,000 Serious Injuries
In May 2018 we recovered the bodily injury policy limits of $200,000 and the underinsured policy limits of $50,000 for both the driver and passenger of the crashed vehicle.
$200,000 Hit & Run Victim
Client was using the Clearwater Beach roundabout when a distracted driver collided with him and left the scene of the accident.
$161,000 Serious Injuries
In October of 2016, our clients were involved in a motor vehicle accident that results in spinal injuries to the driver.
$150,000 Serious Injuries
The at-fault party was looking at the accident across the street instead of the traffic in front of him and hit our client without braking at a speed of over 50 MPH.
$150,000 DUI Victim
Due to the velocity of the at-fault party’s vehicle, the victim’s car was forced to collide with the other vehicles stopped in front of her. The impact our client suffered caused injuries that required significant treatment for recovery.
$125,000 High Speed Collision
Our client was awarded the bodily injury policy limit of $25,000 and was also awarded the underinsured motorist policy limit of $100,000.
$110,000 Side Impact Collision Resulting in Whiplash
Our client was traveling at a legal speed when another car exiting a shopping plaza negligently collided with the passenger’s side of our client’s vehicle.
$100,000 Severe Injuries
In June 2020, Idrizi Law Group demanded the policy limit for our client who experienced whiplash, substantial lower back injuries, and nerve damage which caused numbness to his fingers in both hands.
$100,000 Attorney Colleague Injured in Crash
In July 2020, only 2 months after being hired, we received the maximum bodily injury policy limits for our client which resulted in a $100,000 recovery.
$100,000 Leg Injury
Our client was walking back to his car at the Home Depot parking lot when a parked vehicle backed into him unexpectedly injuring his leg.